7-zip is a completely free, open source file archiver for compression and decompression. 7-Zip uses its own 7z archive format, but can read and write several other archive formats. The program can be used from a command-line interface as the command p7zip, as a graphical user interface, or with a window-based shell integration. 7-Zip works in Windows 10, 8/8.1, 7, Vista, XP, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.
Key features include:
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing/unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR*, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10% better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 87 languages
* – The decompression engine for RAR archives was developed using source code of the unRAR program (which has a licensing restriction against creation of a RAR compressor). Since 7-Zip 15.06 there has been support for the RAR5 file format.
Changes in 7-Zip 16.03:
- Installer and SFX modules now use some protection against DLL preloading attack.
- Some bugs were fixed in 7z, NSIS, SquashFS and RAR5 code.