avast! 4 is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. The latest version of avast! antivirus kernel features outstanding detection abilities, together with high performance. You can expect 100% detection of In-the-Wild viruses (viruses already spreading between users) and excellent detection of Trojan horses. The kernel is certified by ICSA; and frequently takes part in the tests of Virus Bulletin magazine, often yielding the VB100 award.
The avast! engine also features outstanding unpacking support. It can scan inside the following archives: ARJ, ZIP, MIME (+ all associated formats), MAPI (Outlook pst files), DBX (Outlook Express archives), RAR, TAR, GZIP, CAB, BZIP2, ZOO, ACE, ARC, LHA/LHX, TNEF (winmail.dat), CPIO, CHM, RPM, ISO, 7ZIP and SIS. It also supports a number of executable packers (such as PKLite, Diet, UPX, ASPack, PeShield, FSG, MEW etc.). Last, but not least, it can also scan for viruses hidden in Alternate data streams on NTFS volumes.
avast! antivirus 4.8 now has anti-spyware, anti-rootkit and strong self-protection, all built in to avast!, offering the best value anti-malware product you can buy.
- Improvements in some unpackers (WinExec, SFX CAB, LHARC, ZOO)
- Check for critical system files is now performed even in the on-access scanner (as a prevention of false positives)
- Command line scanner (ashCmd.exe): fixed displaying of directory count
- Windows Vista: during a scan of system drive, duplicate entries are now handled correctly (symlinks)
- Explorer extension process (ashQuick.exe) now ends immediately after aborting a scan
- Fixed a bug in SMTP alerts (adding of random characters to the address)
- Verification of digital signatures now fixed even for the on-access scanner (Windows Vista and Windows XP x64)
- Fixed the setting to disable checking of infected files during on-demand scans
- Enhanced UI: it is no longer possible to delete a default task by using the Delete key
- Solved a synchronization problem that could potentially lead even to a hang of an avast component (e.g. the Outlook plugin)
- Windows Vista SP1: solved an issue in the kernel driver aswSP.sys (problems during system shutdown)
- Added a workaround to a compatibility problem with NComputing NCT
- Standard Shield: improved handling of exceptions
- Improvements in the rootkit submission system
- Mail scanner: fixes in IMAP handler (Thunderbird)