Paint.NET is image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
It started development at Washington State University as an undergraduate senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for setup and shell-integration related functionality.
This update adds the ability to configure the Rounded Rectangle shape’s corner size. It also fixes issues with scrolling and panning, effect rendering performance, high DPI, and a rare system hang caused by WPF.
- New: Rounded Rectangle’s corner size (“radius”) is now configurable
- New: Overscroll can now be disabled from within Settings
- Fixed: The Zoom tool was broken in 4.0.10
- Fixed: Auto scroll will no longer engage overscroll. This prevents the image from shooting off in all directions when drawing on it or when making a selection.
- Fixed: Panning with the middle mouse button would sometimes be “sticky”, as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110131-dragging-with-the-mouse-wheel-is-sticky/
- Fixed: Effect rendering performance had significantly regressed in 4.0.10, by as much as 50%, on Intel CPUs with HyperThreading. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110090-paintnet-run-significantly-slower-on-windows-10-compared-to-windows-7/
- Fixed: Selecting the entire image and then using Zoom to Selection or the Zoom Tool would align the image in an awkward manner
- Fixed: In rare cases, Settings -> Plugin Errors was hanging the whole system (bug in WPF?). This UI is now implemented in WinForms instead of WPF. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110002-plugin-error-screen-complete-pc-freezelockout/
- Fixed: Some more high-DPI issues, especially when using multiple monitors with mixed DPI, or when using Remote Desktop