Spybot – Search and Destroy 1.6
Spybot – Search and Destroy detects and removes spyware. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behavior to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven’t intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been “hijacked” (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don’t see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot – Search and Destroy is free, so there’s no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.
- Scan speed vastly improved (with default settings: ca. 5x)
- IE addon has more options
- More browsers supported
- Improved Terminal Services support
- Improved Vista support
- Improved blind/disabled users support
Download: Spybot – Search and Destroy 1.6
Homepage: Safer Networking
Improved Scan Speed
Reported a few weeks ago as one of the big issues users face, Spybot-S&D 1.6 integrates parts of the future 2.0 file scanning engine to speed up the on-demand scan.
Up-to-date browser support
Both immunization and the on-demand scan are able to access a dozen different browsers, which now includes the latest revisions of the most popular ones, Firefox and Opera.
Easier On-Access Use
Until now, our on-access part was able to block bad entries, but at the same time, confused many novice users by asking for confirmation on changes of other monitored system entries as well. While this is a great feature for all experienced users who want full control over their systems, we decided that we need to make this easier for the average user, and integrated automated decisions based on the system entry database built through our RunAlyzer, containing more than quarter of a million decisions.
Safer Networking also announces OpenSBI, our attempt at opening up the fight against malware to anyone who wants to participate. OpenSBI means we’ve published documenation and tools that anyone can use to create their own malware detection patterns for use with Spybot-S&D, and share those with other Spybot-S&D users.
- Diversity – everyone can create detection templates for any software, without depending on a central authority to acknowledge its threat.
- Neutrality – we cannot be bought to remove detections from our database, but if you do not believe us, you can simply publish your own rules against some malware.
- Continuity – OpenSBI ensures that you’ll get updates as long as someone is interested in updating the database (which does not mean we intend to do less work in adding new detections).
- Flexibility – as a system administrator using the network edition, you can make sure that working time is not wasted by employees playing the latest Moorhuhn clone if you add your own detection for it. Keep in mind that some relaxation is said to even improve work results.
And quite a lot more bug fixes and new features, which can be found on bug tracker.